Sunday, October 30, 2011

10 Artbiz uses for your smartphone

Ok I admit it. I'm a bit of a technophobe. Im a gen-exer. I My family didn't get
a VCR til I was 12 years old, i got my first laptop last year, I and until two
months ago, I still had an old flip phone.

I decided to get a new iPhone when I was promoted to marketing director of
caricature cinema. But even though I knew I needed one, I still balked through
the entire process.

I hate salesmen and their transparent manipulations. I have severe anxiety about
trying to learn how to use new technology, especially when it's on something I
USE every day like my phone. (I mean, I put off learning to use my new laptop
til last month).

Let me tell you something. If you're actechnophobe like me, (and in my
experience most artists are not only afraid of technology, they're by and large
a bit neurotic. Not a good combination when it comes to this stuff), and you're
still not using a smartphone, it will CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

I mean, after you get one you'll waste every waking minute of the next month
farting around on it and figuring it out, but that's a small price to pay for a portable hand held laptop.

Which is exactly what my iphone4 is.

 You can do all kinds of amazing things on this thing. In fact, I'm typing on it right now. Below, You’ll find some cool things you can do with a smartphone. I HIGHLY recommend you go get yourself one – or you could always ask santa ;)


10 ways to use your iPhone for your art biz:


1. Sketch photos of kids during downtime at your stand to pull in business. I
find kids work best because of the "cute" factor.


2. Find celebrity pics to draw from and bookmark them.


3. Write your next blog post (like I'm doing right now)


4. Update your social networks with actual news about your biz(not just pictures
of your cat). Facebook and twitter, of course, but also deviantart, linkedin, and photobucket are important to update periodically.


5. Sign up for http://www.caricature.org/ if you haven't already. It's worth the $50 fee.
It's always astonishing to me when I meet a caricaturist who isn't a part of ISCA,
but it happens all the time. The ISCA is the INternational Society of Caricature Artists. It's open to anyone who loves the art of caricature (not just professionals - but it may well open the door for you to become a pro!) They have a forum where you can post your work and get critiques, as well as an annual convention held the second week of November. This may well change your life, especially if you go to the conventions. It changed mine - I married a caricaturist I met there!

6. Broadcast yourself drawing live. At least have someone recording you draw. Use this for publicity on your website or blog or even just to show the guy on the subway what you do.


7. Take pictures of your best drawings to use as samples
8. Create art with apps such as MyPaint Free.


9. Use it to market yourself when networking with people. When they ask about
your work, just whip out your phone!


10. Use your maps function to route your gigs. Make a wrong turn? No problem!
Just press "edit" and then "route" using your current address. It'll update your route
immediately. No more mapquest or gps blues! And you'll Never be late to a gig again!


If you haven't got a smartphone yet, seriously, go get one! It'll change the way you do business.

No comments:

Post a Comment