Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pay it Forward

I realized today that I'm a success by Anyones standards. I have a husband who
loves me, a decent house, three happy kids and a job I love. I fell into all of
this.

As a kid I remember wishing and wanting to be a cartoonist with all my heart and
soul. I practiced constantly and was down on myself for how poor my drawings were til the kid in third grade who could draw told me a drawing I'd copied was good.

 If I'd come across a group of professional caricaturists sitting around a
table eating dinner and drawing on the paper tablecloth like I was doing tonight (yes, weate at Macaroni Grill), I'd have died and hone to heaven. And if I could have seen myself now way back then, I wouldn't have believed it. I would've wanted to speak to them but I would never have dared.

How things have changed. Now, I'm married to the founder of the NCN (which is how I met him and wouldn't have happened if he hadn't started the NCN in the first place. Now THATS a catch 22) AND I'm friends with pros all over the world. I'm so grateful.

And if I had ANY advice for aspiring professional caroonists, caricicaturists or comic book artists, it would be this: DON'T BE AFRAID TO TALK TO PEOPLE. In fact, you can and SHOULD talk to people in the field. They'll encourage you, inspire you, and show you the way. My friends in the art community have done so much for me. I'm happy to give back to beginners in the same way. Most artists are the same way, and they are the NICEST group of people you'll ever meet. And you do the same thing when you start living your dreams - pay it forward.

So jump on in! The waters fine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment