Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How to do your very First Gig

So you got your first gig lined up. It's all confirmed. All you've gotta do is...

what?

If you don't know, read on.

First, congratulations. You've embarked on a journey to a new career in life. Gigs are a great way to get paid to do something you love - making fun of people. But seriously, gigs are how I make my bread and butter. Market yourself enough and you can do this full time and actually make a living doing something you love.

So what do you do?

First, make sure you have a written contract. You're going to have to make one up yourself. you need their contact information including phone number the DAY OF THE GIG. You'll need their name and address, AND the address of the gig.

Second, Double check your times and location a few days before the event. I've done thousands of gigs and it's rare but sometimes they give you the wrong information. The hostess usually appreciated a call as well.

Third, make sure you have all of your materials. Put them in your car ahead of time. A Windsor  portable easel is great, you can get one for as cheap as $45.00 at Blick, but more often they run in the $75.00 range. If you don't have the dough for an easel, you soon will. Just bring a backboard (about $10.00 for the particle board kind) and rest it on a table. You'll need a backboard if you're using an easel too. Bring plenty of paper and markers, as well as either bags or rubber bands. I prefer rubber bands at gigs. I like to use a fanny pack to keep them in, to hold my markers, and to collect tips. You might want to invest in cheap portable clip-on lights, they're $5.99 at Loews. Also I always bring duct tape. You never know when a floor will be too slippery for your easel, your easel will break, etc. I used to bring chairs too but now I ask the host to supply them.And DEFINITELY bring a bunch of business cards. When I book my own gigs, I hand them out to EVERYONE (including kids; I tell them to give it to their mom.) A little shameless self-promotion never hurt anyone :)

Fourth, the day of your gig, make sure you have all your gig clothes laid out and ready to go. What you choose to wear is up to you, unless you're working for an agent who tells you what to wear. I NEVER recommend jeans. And I always try to look professional. Often I'll wear a dress. If you're female, try not to show too much cleavage.or leg. The men might like it but the hostess probably won't (in my experience nearly 90% of my gigs are booked by women).

Fifth: try to relax. I used to get panic attacks every time I did a gig for the first FIVE YEARS. THIS IS NORMAL. Just breathe deep and know the you can do it! It's not that hard. Really. I promise.

Sixth: Leave extra early. Much better to be early than late. Meet the host/hostess. Scope out your site. Make sure there's enough light and that a) you won't get trampled by traffic and b) you're not totally out of sight so that guests can find you.

Seventh: Set up your kit. Hang a sign if you like that tells your hours. This helps cut down people trying to get "one last drawing" at the end (see my tips for not having this happen).

Eighth: Draw! If you've drawn in a retail environment before, then great. You know how important speed is. If not, try your best to do one sketch every five minutes or less. I like to introduce myself to each person who sits in the chair, give them a little instruction, then ask what they do or where they're from. You'll get the hang of talking while you draw. It's actually a fun part of the job. Hand each person their rubber-banded art along with a business card. You'll be guaranteed to get more business!

Ninth: HAVE FUN!

Tenth: Get paid. This is the BEST part. And what'll keep you doing gigs again and again and again!

Best of luck - and let me know how it went!

No comments:

Post a Comment